If, during the check for updates, Windows Update displays an error message 80072ee7, you may need to change or remove static IP-addresses for Update service Windows. Addresses are stored in the operating system Hosts.
IP-address for the Windows Update service can change during each check for updates, but some add-in program is added to the Windows Hosts file static addresses. Static IP-address for the Windows Update service will not allow your computer to receive updates.
Removing a static IP-address for the Web site Windows Update service
1. Open Computer. To do this, click the Start button and click Computer.
2. Double-click the local hard disk where you installed Windows (usually drive C).
3. Double-click Windows, and then – the folder System32.
4. Double-click Drivers, and then – a folder, and so on. D ..
5. etc folder, right-click the hosts file, and click Open. Once you get to choose a program with which to open the file, click Notepad.
6. Check whether the hosts file in the # sign all records about IP-addresses and hostnames Update Windows. If not, insert a symbol # or delete the entry entirely.
7. Open the File menu, click Save, and repeat the check for updates.